list of printers

I need to be able to set a printer as a default for the GTK app - not
the system default printer - so the user can have things print without
having to see the print dialog every time. One way I thought about doing
this is to call gtk_print_operation_run() and let the user select the
printer to use as the app default and call a "draw-page" function that
does nothing. The resulting printer's GtkPrintSettings data would be
saved to a file and henceforth the app would read that file for knowing
what printer to print to.

Is there an easier way to do this that I have missed? Ideally I'd like
to grab a GList of printer names and display them in a ComboBox for
user-selection, but I cannot find any GTK functions to do this.

Thanks,
Michael