Multiple selections in list/treeview widgets and accelerator groups?

Is it possible that having an accelerator group associated with the
top-level window of a hierarchy could prevent multiple selections in a list
widget within that window from working?

I have an application that is supposed to have multiple selections enabled
(gtk_tree_selection_set_mode(selection, GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE) has been
called on the selection object associated with the treeview). But when I do
a control-click or shift-click on the list nothing happens [I don't expect
Ctrl-A to work as that is bound to a button]. The only significant
difference I can see from a demo program that does work is that the
top-level window has an accelerator group in the application and not in the
demo.

James