Iconview stock items

I am working with an icon view and am trying to load stock items into
the gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file( ) but it's not working, I assume that is
perhaps because I am using the function wrong, is there a way to do
what I am trying to do?

I am following the tutorial here:
http://zetcode.com/tutorials/gtktutorial/gtkwidgetsII/ and simply
trying to swap out custom images for stock ones to use in my real
application once I have understood the principles correctly.

If anyone knows where I may be going wrong I would appreciate some
pointers, I know it's a widget like a treeview so requires a model and
that the model has a label and an image but beyond that without
getting the examples working I don't know how much I am understanding
is accurate or not.

Thanks,
Neil