Gtk.TextTag - invisible property vs ScrolledWindow

I'm trying to use the Gtk.TextTag "invisible" property, which seems to do its job in hiding the text. But the scrollbars are not updated accordingly, so with little text visible there are still scrollbars and with much text, some text can't be seen. This seems to depend on what invisibility setting has been used before adding text.

Also, sometimes it seems like empty lines are left where text was hidden, even tho all the newlines are inside the hidden text.
This only happens in some rare occasions tho.

What I'm trying to accomplish is a log viewer which colors text depending on a category and has an option to hide and show each category. Of course I could just rebuild the text every time, but it'd be nicer if I could use the invisible feature, since then it will stay at the previous position (more or less).

Any help is greatly appreciated.