GtkCheckMenuItem needs double click?

Using glade with GtkBuilder to create my application GUI. I'm
developing & testing on Windows 7 using Microsoft C++.
Trying to add a "record" button to my menu bar. Note: Ideally I would
have liked a nice red record button that lights up while my
application is recording, however just to get it working I put in
GtkCheckMenuItem.

It is all working but inexplicably I have to click my GtkCheckMenuItem
*twice* to for each toggle. Is this a known common mistake?
Any advice or reference to previous thread on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Perdie