Why doesn't my label show up in the window

When I click the button the subwindow shows up but the label is missing in
action.

I thought that this line --> while (g_main_context_iteration(NULL, FALSE));

would make both the subwindow and the label show up without having to re-visit
gtk_main(), but obviously that's not the case.  Unsurprisingly the window
doesn't show up at all without that line but what happened to the label?