multiple filters in GtkFileChooser

I use gtk_file_chooser_dialog_new to put up a File Open dialog. For some uses I add two or more alternative GtkFileFilters.

I've just noticed that with gtk 2.24.6 the dialog misbehaves: The drop-down list of filters appears, but the combo widget is much too narrow: for each of the filter names, only the first two characters are shown, followed by an ellipsis. The names are not particularly long (e.g. 16 characters). The widget
is not bumped up against any other element in the dialog.

Anyone know what might be happening here, or if there's a work-around? Thanks. (I know this was working OK with an earlier gtk version.)

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics