Open a file in a GTK application (over network)

Hello,

I tried to add a file chooser widget into my application and open a
file on a samba share.

After some fiddling around and collecting some GTK patches I got to a
state when it would work. However, when I killed my
gnome-keyring-daemon (could not find an UI for managing the stored
credentials) there is no possibility to connect to the samba share any
more.

I can open Gigolo and connect to the share manually and then
everything works again. I can browse the share and bookmarks pointing
to the share are visible again. Without connecting to the share in a
separate application, though, I can't enter the location in the
location entry - it says it's not mounted. And the bookmarks pointing
there are not visible, either.

What use is gvfs then if you have to mount your shares in advance
anyway? I could use smbfs then. An I would have the option to *not*
enter a domain when connecting to the share then, too.

Thanks

Michal