Append to list store doesn't get all column attributes

Hi,

(Sorry if this appears twice.  I sent it from the wrong address earlier.)

In a dialog with a scrolled window displaying a list, with one column in
the view, where the cells are editable;

gtk_tree_view_insert_column_with_attributes (GTK_TREE_VIEW (view),
                        -1,
                        "Name",
                        renderer,
                        "text", 0,
                        "editable", TRUE,
                        NULL);

A button in the dialog allows the user to add to the list with;

gtk_list_store_append(store, &iter);
gtk_list_store_set(store, &iter,
                0, "New",
                1, 0,
                -1);

p = gtk_tree_model_get_path(model, &iter);
c = gtk_tree_view_get_column(GTK_TREE_VIEW (view), 0);
gtk_tree_view_scroll_to_cell(GTK_TREE_VIEW (view), p, NULL, FALSE, 0.0,
0.0);
gtk_tree_view_set_cursor(GTK_TREE_VIEW (view), p, c, TRUE);
gtk_widget_grab_focus (view);

The item "New" is indeed appended to the list, and it scrolls to the
correct cell, however "New" is not editable, and no matter what I've
tried, I can't make it editable.

Can anyone offer a clue as to why?

Regards,
James.