child-displacement-... style properties and gtk_widget_set_state

Using the "child-displacement-x" and "child-displacement-y" style properties
of GtkButton in my gtkrc file works when a button is clicked with the mouse
but doesn't seem to do anything (the button content isn't displaced) when I
use:

gtk_widget_set_state(m_pButton, GTK_STATE_ACTIVE);

to set the button state, even followed by gdk_window_process_updates.  The
button image (from the gtkrc file via engine "pixmap") changes in both cases
indicating that the button is actually being set to active.  Is there
something else I need to do to cause gtk_widget_set_state to have the same
effect as clicking the button?