Database view widget

Dear listmembers,

I am writing an application in Python+libglade (*) which displays a long
table of objects and their properties (geocaches, actually. Similar to
GSAK or GeoGet). The problem is that with more than 15000 objects the
TreeView starts to get rather unresponsive.

Is there a better alternative?

I guess it's probably possible to display only several pages of objects
and handle ScrollBar manually, but that looks inelegant and tedious. Is
there a better way? Some better suited widget, capable of displaying
icons, simple markup and filtering/sorting? I remember there being some
table widget, but it seemed to be limited back when I was looking at it.

Regards,
Edheldil

(*) will port it to Gtk Builder eventually