Proportional widget

Hi, I'm not sure if this list is the right place for this question, so
excuse me if it isn't.

I'm trying to write a "proportional" widget, or container maybe, a
widget that respect some proportions for his size, like an
squared-widget (1:1) or a 5star widget (5:1). This widget should
request more or less space based on they proportion.

I'm using height-for-width methods but documentation is confusing and
I can't get any reliable result. Along with this, it seems that some
widgets in gtk+-3.2 are using height-for-width methods while others
are using old geometry methods, this complicates even more my problem.

Someone can give me any advices for doing this?