gtksourceview-2.0 with custom paths

First off, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I see from http://projects.gnome.org/gtksourceview//development.html that the recommendation is to ask about gtksourceview on gnome-devtools, but that list appears to be pretty much moribund so I'm trying here.

I work on a cross-platform GTK app, and I'm trying to get gtksourceview-2.0 working in the context of packages for Windows and OS X, where I don't know the final installation path and so I need to specify the search paths for language-specs and style files at runtime.

Right now I'm emulating this situation on Linux, and while I seem to be close to success, no cigar yet. Any help would be appreciated. (BTW, my testing is with version 2.10.5, which I take to be "latest stable" in the 2.0 series, but should I be using 2.11.N?)

Step 1: Specify a non-standard location for the lang files. Before displaying any text I grab the default languages manager with

  gtk_source_language_manager_get_default()

and set a custom location using

  gtk_source_language_manager_set_search_path

Result: Success. I get syntax highlighting OK, even if I hide the standard language-specs directory.

Step 2: Specify a non-standard location for the style files. Again, before displaying anything I grab the default style scheme manager with

  gtk_source_style_scheme_manager_get_default()

and set a custom directory using

  gtk_source_style_scheme_manager_set_search_path()
  gtk_source_style_scheme_manager_force_rescan()

(I'm not sure the latter call is necessary, but I threw it in for good measure.)

Result: Failure: no syntax highlighting.

Though I don't need styles other than "classic", I've tried this with the custom directory containing the entire contents of the standard styles directory.

I guess I must be missing something. By inserting print statements I can see that after Step 2,

  gtk_source_style_scheme_manager_get_scheme_ids()

is giving an apparently valid list of ids, corresponding to the style xml files in the non-standard location (which in some experiments was a subset of the full list, but including "classic").

One more observation: In each case my setting of the "non-standard location" was an array of just two *gchars, the custom path followed by NULL. In the style-scheme-manager case (only), the result (syntax highlighting or none) was conditional on whether or not the standard styles directory was "visible" or hidden (renamed) at runtime.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics