how to hint gtk about a useful start of the focus chain

hi,

having the focus on the right widget can make apps more productive. I feed that right now either I am missing
something or gtk does not a good job at it.

For odd reasons gtk prefers to focus toolbar button on new windows (which is
strange and not useful imho). When trying to hint gtk+ about what a useful focus
behavior I came across gtk_button_get_focus_on_click(). The documentations
says "Making mouse clicks not grab focus is useful in places like toolbars
where you don't want the keyboard focus removed from the main area of the
application.". Although this function cannot be used with toolbar buttons as those are
toolitems. Then I discovered that gtktoolitem.c seems to actually call this internaly.
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gtk/gtktoolbutton.c?h=gtk-2-24#n308

Should the docs be changed to mention that for toolbars its helpful for
toolitem implementations?

Should gtk take that flag into account when determining the widget that gets
focus in a new window. Right now it stubbornly focuses on the toolitem. No
matter how hard I try (e.g. gtk_widget_grab_focus(other_widget) in window::show
signal handler).

Any tips? What are you guy using to set a proper focus on new windows/dialogs.

Stefan