GtkNotebook with action on click of special tab

Hi I am trying to achieve the effect of new tab openening if one tab gets
selected. Unfortunaltly the doc is very sparse on that:
http://developer.gnome.org/gtk/stable/GtkNotebook.html as of using the
"select-page" signal. Can anyone give me a hint how to use it properly with
a g_signal_connect function?

Note: I am still in a learning phase so please be patient with me :)

What I tried so far:

gboolean
derived_notebook_insert_page (DerivedNotebook *obj, gboolean b, gpointer
data)
{
// do page insert
}

and within foo_derived_notebook_init: g_signal_connect (obj, "select-page",
G_CALLBACK (derived_notebook_insert_page), NULL);

If anybody could shed some light of what the return value is for, and how to
achiev what I want, thanks very much

Regards

B.