Re: which gtk-win32 version to use?

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Manu wrote:

I'm building an app for linux and windows. I use gtk-win32 with
mingw for the windows version. The linux version is very stable
but the windows version sometimes randomly crashes. My question
is: which gtk-win32 version is best to use? On the gtk website,
it's said that gtk+ 2.16 is older but more reliable than
gtk+2.20.

I can confirm that point. As GTK+ 3 emerges and matures things
may change, but for now I'd still recommend 2.16 for production
use on win32.

(Of course, bugs in my port of the app are most likely the
reason for these crashes but I'm trying to make sure that
nothing else is involved.)

Yep. In checking the performance of my own GTK app, I have almost
invariably found that a problem of the form "doing X works fine on
Linux but (sometimes) crashes on Windows" means there's a bug in
my own code. A GTK-on-Windows problem is much more likely to
manifest itself as some part of the GUI not working correctly,
rather than an outright crash.

Allin Cottrell