Re: GTK Error handling..

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 03:22:56PM +0200, Dov Grobgeld wrote:
If all you want is a popup, then you might as well create a new process
instead of a new thread. There is no advantage of using a thread as it does
not seem like you want to pass any info between the window and the
monitoring loop. Further, the way you described it, if more than one event
occurs, then you will be spawning two threads that does calls into GUI. This
is a big no-no as gtk is not multi-threaded, and only a single thread may do
graphics related calls.

        First off,  thanks for all the responses.

        The only information that needs to be passed is from the
"monitor loop" (the alert information) to the "thread" that creates the
"popup" window.   That part is complete,  but considering the error
handling,   I'm reconsidering how I'm doing this.    It looks like
I'll probably create a new process to deal with the "popup".

--
        Champ Clark III | Softwink, Inc | 800-538-9357 x 101
                     http://www.softwink.com

GPG Key ID: 58A2A58F
Key fingerprint = 7734 2A1C 007D 581E BDF7  6AD5 0F1F 655F 58A2 A58F
If it wasn't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL.