Re: libgnomecanvas

On 3 May 2010, at 03:05, Javier Jardón wrote:

note that GnomeCanvas is deprecated, maybe you want to use GooCanvas
[1] instead.

Thanks for the suggestion Javier but this is a pre-existing project so I'm pretty much stuck with the same
canvas that everyone else is using.

No matter what text (or font) I use, the Gnome::Canvas::Text item is simply displaying a long sequence of
squares.  In my experience, this is often symptomatic of a "missing font" issue.  However, it happens with
any font that I select.  This suggests that libgnomecanvas cannot find any of my installed fonts at all.

I found a utility called "fc-list.exe" which lists most of the fonts on my system.  Those fonts are all
available if I build a small gtk app which uses a fontselection dialog.  But libgnomecanvas gives the
impression that it doesn't even know the fonts are there.

Is there maybe a difference in the way that gtk enumerates fonts, compared to libgnomecanvas?  Or do I need
some additional library to allow Gnome::Canvas::Text to function properly with fonts?

John