Hover decorations in GtkIconView

I have a custom GtkCellRendererPixbuf which I am using to render some
thumbnails in a GtkIconView. Now when the mouse passes over a rendered
thumbnail I want to slightly highlight/decorate it. As far as I can
understand from the documentation my render_vfunc should get
GTK_CELL_RENDERER_PRELIT in the flags parameter when the mouse passes

However, the only value that I am getting are 0 and 1 (ie.

Any idea how to do this?

One reason that life is complex is that it has a real part and an
imaginary part.
    -- Andrew Koenig