g_idle_add(): limits?

Hi,

I make heavy use of g_idle_add(), and encounter this problem:
It seems that the idle functions aren't called sometimes.

To track that: I used a counter before g_idle_add() and one
inside the idle function (always executed once only).  When
the app is closed, the counters are sometimes not equal.

So, my questions are:

(1)
Is there in general a chance that g_idle_add() does NOT call
the idle function?

Should and can I check if it returns 0 (=error?). This is
not made so clear by the doc.

(2)
What would glib/gtk do if it was flooded with more idle
functions than there is idle time?

I have seen gtk working and responding properly with 2500
idle functions (!) here, but I wonder if there might be a
maximum for pending idle functions.

Thank You
 Felix