gtk_action_block_activate fails to block ?!?

Hi all,

I have a GtkToggleAction in a menu that I need to synchronize with the
state in the application. I don't want the callback called when I
update the state from within the application. According to the
documentation this is what gtk_action_block_activate should do, but
the callback is still called !?

        GtkAction *action = gtk_action_group_get_action(actiongroup, actionname);
        if (gtk_toggle_action_get_active(GTK_TOGGLE_ACTION(action))!=value) {
                gtk_action_block_activate(action);
                gtk_toggle_action_set_active(GTK_TOGGLE_ACTION(action), value);
                gtk_action_unblock_activate(action);
        }

is this a bug or do I misunderstand something?

Olivier