GtkTextView and glade 3

I've spent the last month struggling with glade to layout the interface
for my app, especially creating an incoming text pane and placing the
text into it.

I currently have glade set to libglade mode and use gtk-builder-convert
to turn the .glade into .xml after not being able to find how to get
the output from gtkbuilder mode into a usable format.

Also, I find many widgets I wish to use unsupported by one mode or the
other (i.e. neither libglade mode or gtkbuilder mode will support all
the widgets I want.

in case it matters I'm using ver 3.6.7 of glade.