Text editing and UTF-8 conversion

 Hello everyone,

I've recently decided to fix up / continue some work on an app I started a while go to learn GTK+. It is a simple text editor like notepad. One of the things I wanted to try and allow for the new version is large file support, but I'm having some issues in this area.

I'm using GIO to load the file data, and GtkTextView to display/edit it. I discovered originally that GtkTextView needs utf8 data so in the load process I call g_utf8_validate and if necessary, g_locale_to_utf8 but this conversion process seems to take a long time and I'm wondering if there is any way to speed it up.

I wrote a small application to test the loading code with this conversion, the source can be found here: http://pastebin.com/dhQhubFt I have two text files I am testing with, same content, 37.0 megs of text exported from a db. I created using edit+, and saved one w/ it's ansi encoding setting, and the other with UTF-8 setting. My test program is able to process the UTF8 version in less than a second as the data is already valid. The other file has characters that require a conversion and this bumps processing time up to about 5 seconds.

Is there anything that I could do differently to increase the loading speed or is this just something I need to just deal with and move on to the next item on the list?

My dev. environment is Visual C++ Express/Windows 7 if that information is of use.

Thanks,
Keith