Re: bitmap in button doesn't appear in 64bit 9.10

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:14:28AM -0800, Garth's KidStuff wrote:
Thanks.  After some digging, I managed to find out how to set the settings:

    // Set button/menu images on by default -- 9.10 turned them off
    GtkSettings *settings = gtk_settings_get_default ();
    gtk_settings_set_long_property (settings, "gtk-button-images", 1,
".gtkrc:0"); // I don't understand the significance of the origin param.  I
just saw this on some thread and tried it -- it works...
    gtk_settings_set_long_property (settings, "gtk-menu-images", 1,
".gtkrc:0");

You can set images on menu items where they are really, really necessary
by setting the "always-show-image" property.

If you have buttons that make no sense without the image, you have
always the option of constructing their content manually instead of
using the "image" property.

I did both in a few cases in my programs, namely in special menus and
where the image carried the primary information and the text only
auxiliary.

By changing the settings in *code* you behave a thousand times worse
than Ubuntu did.  The GtkSettings distro defaults can be probably
changed in some user preferences; and in the worst case by gconf-editor
or

gconftool-2 --type boolean --set /desktop/gnome/interface/menus_have_icons true

or similar means.

How will anyone using your app disable the icons in menus?

Yeti