Re: pulseaudio and gtk events issues

I think this should have been documented by pulseaudio (I mean in case they knew the problem) because it would have saved a ***lot*** of time to people like you and me. Not to mention that chasing non-existent bugs is likely to leave you in an urgent need of a psychiatrist... ;)

Emmanuel Thomas-Maurin

Nikolaj Thygesen wrote:
I can't tell you what you're specific issue is (as I'm running fbsd), but recently I spent months chasing a bug in my own app, which ended up being a thread related bug in pulseaudio, so you might be right there. I too had to disable window and button sounds. It appeared the gdk lock wasn't handled properly in pulseaudio. This was solved by upgrading the pa release.

br - N :o)

Manu TM wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to debug a gtk app on Ubuntu Karmic that crashes from time to time when I open a dialog. Lately, I have found a precise sequence of UI actions that always reproduces the bug (I open a dialog, pick an option, click or enter ok, then re-open the dialog.) But many other
sequences crash my app too. And I always get this error:

Assertion 'pthread_setspecific(t->key, userdata) == 0' failed at pulsecore/thread-posic.c:200,
function pa_tls_set(). Aborting.

So my app seems to crash because an error in pulseaudio, which is strange. I made some google searches and apparently, this problem exists with other apps (Abiword, Flash support in Firefox, Gimp, ...) Then, following a suggestion in a bug report, I opened 'sound-preferences' and disabled
'window and button sounds'. And then, no more crashes, ever.

I've already posted on this list about the problem and I don't want to spam. But I've been re- checking my sources many times since last month, unsuccessfully. Then my app used to be very stable a couple of months ago and I have checked all the last changes I have made lately. So the question is: could all this relate to an upgrade to Karmic or a newer version of pulseaudio?

I know that gtk handles events from windows and buttons and so does pulseaudio. Could it possibly be a bug in pulseaudio on ubuntu (instead of in my app?) Does anyone have an idea of what's going on?

Thanks in advance for any clue.