Re: Localization issues

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:53:15 +0000
Chris Vine <chris cvine freeserve co uk> wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 17:11:47 +0530
Lourembam Lenin <leninlou gmail com> wrote:
I have a text in English which i want to convert it into French.

The sequence that i followed are as under:

   1. generate all the text using xgettext command in terminal,
creating .pot file
   2. creating .po file from .pot file
   3. creating .mo file from .po file

I have copy the .mo file in "/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES"

here is my code for main.c file:

int main()

{

    setlocale(LC_ALL,"");
    bindtextdomain("main","/usr/share/locale");
    textdomain("main");
    printf( gettext("Hello world\n"));
    return (0);
}

But when i execute the program, french version is not printed on
terminal after changing the language to french.

You shouldn't copy your po file by hand: if your program is
gettextize'd then 'make install' will do it for you, with the correct
name.  In your case, if you were to copy it by hand you would need to
name it main.po, which is a very odd name.

Correction: that is main.mo of course, copied from your gmo file.

Chris