Gtk+3 xcb asynchronous X11

The talk of gtk 3 coming down the line reminded me a an old question I
once had. I remember reading a paper analyzing X11 performance problems
that concluded drawing operations were slowed because the synchronous
nature of xlib required steps to wait for round trip traffic completion
notifications before moving on to the next step. Then later on when the xcb
library came out one of the cited reasons for its existence was that it
provided a way use the X11 protocol asynchronously. Whether or not any of
this is true, I have no idea. However, there is a xcb cairo backend, which
always made me curious.

Other than multi touch and clutter I haven't really been paying attention.
Is xcb something entering the picture in gtk 3?

--
www.thomasstover.com
NO CARRIER