ms-windows engine on Windows 7

A user of my GTK app recently remarked on this: when he uses the
ms-windows theme engine on Windows 7, the highlight on the
currently selected menu item misbehaves: the text of the
highlighted item goes white, while the background for that item
goes almost-white, making the item unreadable.

On MS Vista I don't see this problem (with the same gtkrc and
libwimp.dll): the background goes light-colored but the menu text
remains black. (FWIW the way highlighting works on my Windows 7
user's desktop for non-GTK apps is that the active item is
surrounded by a barely perceptible box, with no change of text
color.)

Any ideas on how the text-disappearing problem could be fixed?
Could some magic in gtkrc do the job?

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics