Question concerning forced expose-events

Hi,

I'm not sure, if I'm doing this right (and I'm new to GTK+), but here is
what is giving me trouble.

I have a drawing area where I show images acquired with a USB-connected
camera. The camera driver provides a hookup for a callback function, that
gets called each time a new image is acquired and transferred to the
computer. New images arrive anytime up to 30 fps. Now in this callback
function I make a local copy of this image and call
gdk_window_invalidate_rect() to force an expose event which actually draws
the new image using that local copy.

The problem I'm having is that the image is only actually updated (that is,
my expose-event handler is only called) when I move the mouse over the
image, cover it up with another window etc.

-> How can I force the expose-event event to fire from inside the program,
as soon as new data is stored.

Thanks in advance,
solarstandard