Re: Hardware accelerated 2D graphics (with gtk-osx)

On 1 Aug 2010, at 21:41, Kristian Rietveld wrote:

On Jul 28, 2010, at 9:15 AM, John Emmas wrote:

This morning I've come across this mailing list which has got me confused:-

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=gtk-osx-users

My understanding is that this mailing list is for discussion of gtk+ on osx as well as certain subprojects

Thanks Kristian.  I found out later that the other mailing list is for questions relating to GTK+ version 1.
It seems as if version 1 is still being developed alongside version 2 but I'm not sure why.

Anyway, I've managed to find out that under OS-X, hardware acceleration is only available for certain
supported chipsets, which seems reasonable enough - but even when it's supported, only 3D acceleration is
enabled by default.  Bizarrely, 2D acceleration is disabled by default and needs to be enabled using
something called that Quartz Debug Application.  The worrying thing is that this probably makes sense to
someone at Apple....  :-(