Problem with GtkFileChooserDialog select_folder action

The problem occurs when I create a GtkFileChooserDialog with action GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_SELECT_FOLDER and then set the default folder with gtk_file_chooser_set_filename or gtk_file_chooser_select_filename. Attempting to click "Ok" gives the message "The folder could not be created. Error creating directory: File exists". Simply selecting a different file, then re-selecting the default and clicking "Ok" works fine. I've attached a sample program that demonstrates the problem. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug? If it's a bug, is there a known work-around? I've tried various permutations of things and can't find a way around it.

Fedora 11
gtk 2.16.5-1