Re: toolbutton label not visible in gtk 2.18

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 09:57 -0700, John Stebbins wrote:
On 10/30/2009 09:24 AM, John Stebbins wrote:
I just installed fedora 12 beta on one machine and ubuntu 9.10 on
another.  Both have gtk 2.18.3.  When I run my application on either
system, my toolbutton labels are not visible.  Am I missing some new
property that needs to be set to make them visible, or is this a gtk bug?

I figured it out.  The GtkToolBar property toolbar-sytle now must be set
to GTK_TOOLBAR_BOTH.  This wasn't necessary before.  I don't know if it
makes a difference, but my ui is being initialized with GtkBuilder.

I don't think this is the preferred way - the toolbar style is a user
setting which should be respected if possible.
Until recently, the default style was to show labels below icons. This
was changed with the release of Gnome 2.28 to show labels beside icons
_only_ for actions with the is_important property set to TRUE.
So IMHO the "correct" way of doing it would be to pick the most
important actions and mark them with gtk_action_set_is_important.