Problem with installing GTK+-2.0.0 on Fedora Core 6

Hi All,
        I am doing application development on Fedora Core 6 Linux machine which had GTK version 1.2.1 already
installed. I needed to use g_timer_add gnome function in my gtk application which doesn't seem to be
supported on this version. So i tried to install the newer version of GTK+-2.0.0 from the gtk.org web page.
Once I copied tar.gz file and tried to install the app. by running the './configure' script, the
insatallation process stopped at the following error messages:
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.12.3, but GLIB (2.4.0)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error:

 I treid to update the glib library by running:

'yum update glib'  or 'yum install glib' but it appeared that kernel couldn't find the  match and issued the
following messages:
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
core 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
updates 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
extras 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
Could not find update match for glib
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
I was wondering whether the problem is with the 'yum' package as it is unable to find the requested Glib
library. Since the whole point of installing the new version of GTK was to be able to use the 'g_timer_add'
function, can some one suggest if it is possible to use this function with the GTK 1.2.1 version. If not, can
someone point out how can I fix the installation error if GTK+-2.0.0.

Thanks,
Adeel