g_io_channel_win32_new_messages() & WaitForSingleObject()

Anyone know if you can use a win32 message io channel on arbitrary "handles" or just gdi windows or whatever the intended use of that is? I openly admit a don't "get" windows at all, so this maybe just really out there. Specifically, if I had "handle" returned from RegisterServiceCtrlHandler() (which as best as I can imagine in my linux centric reality is some sort alertable mutex like a futex) there are msdn examples showing WaitForSingleObject() used as an alternative to "global variable polling". I'm just wondering if there is a path to glib event loop integration other than a timer and with an if statement inside.

For those of you who never have to look at windows just use the above to make yourselves feel better today. For those of you that make all this stuff work on windows, I am truly grateful.