Re: goocanvas vs crcanvas,which better?

Hi Chen,

For the application that you described, using a canvas doesn't give you much
and you can just as well create a cairo context and draw on the image
directly. But there are a few things that you should be aware of:

   - Drawing overlays on av full realtime speed is going to take a lot of
   CPU no matter how fast you do it.
   - You should make sure to prepare all the data offline before you ship it
   off to the screen. Thus don't put the data from the frame grabber on the
   screen until after you have annotated it.
   - If the annotation is static, it certainly faster to prepare a
   transparent pixbuf and draw the annotation on the pixbuf and then simply
   merge the data from the frame grabber with the overlay mostly transparent
   pixbuf, and then ship the result of to display.
   - If you want the user to be able to interactively zoom the resulting
   pixbuf, you may want to have a look at my GtkImageViewer that creates such a
   zoomable interface for you. See the tutorial at:
   http://giv.sourceforge.net/gtk-image-viewer/

Regards,
Dov