GtkEntry Set pixmap

Hi,
     I want to set the background  pixmap for gtkentry. At the same time i
want the text to start at an xoffset. So I set the xthickness to 8 and the
background pixmap to the widget->window. The widget window gets the pixmap
but the entry->text_area is still drawn in default base color. So its gives
an appearance that there is another box painted on the pixmap on which the
text is rendered. If I set the pixmap to the entry->text_area window then
there is a border around the text area ( which is the widget window) that
does not have the pixmap. I tried
gdk_clear_area (entry->text_area) in expose and
gdk_window_set_back_pixmap (entry->text_area,NULL, TRUE) in realize function
but no results.
Can someone tell me where to make the change to make text area transparent
so that it takes d pixmap as background?