Notification or applet?

Hi all,

I am working on an application that has a feature in common with
Rythmbox, X-Chat, Pidgin and a few other applications: It should sit in
the system tray when closed/minimized.

I am wondering how I should program this. I know about Gnome applets but
it's not really an applet (like Pidgin and Rhythmbox aren't applets but
full-blown applications). But I have read that the notification area
shouldn't be (ab)used for this either.

Also, my application needs to show notification popups every now and again.

So, how should I do this? As an applet? Use the notification area? Some
combination of the two? Is there a third way?

Thanks in advance for any help. Kind regards,

--
Sander Marechal