Convert png inline into a gdk-pixbuf?

Hi list,

How can i decode a png image stored in a memory buffer into a gdk-pixmap without
saving it in a file during that process?

I have a png image downloaded from the internet and thus now stored in a memory
buffer. Now i'd like to convert that into a gdk-pixbuf without saving the file to disk first
and have the program read it back with gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file. I want to avoid this
since i am on a small embedded system and don't want to use the ramdisk as it
wastes main memory nor do i want to use flash memory for obvious reasons.

All the inline functions seem to only be able to deal with some special inline
format or xpm. But the images i have to use are pngs.

Till