Re: utf-16 and glib

Please, please, please don't switch to UTF-16. To me gtk is about getting to use technologies that are "solid", "real", "fun", and "effective". Principally, that means C and *nix. UTF-8 is the greatest thing for one reason that kills all the others: solid compatibility with both of the above. I think gtk on 'doz is the coolest thing, and an extra file name conversion here and there is totally acceptable and then some. Siting the way other software does things just shows why gtk delivers so much. As an application developer, sticking with utf-8 all day long and not worrying about it is just awesome. Yes I do have to worry about it sometimes, like when I use .fred pinvoke() wrappers, some 'doz python issues, etc., but just use the appropriate conversion function and move on.

... I wonder if g_print() will deliver extended characters to the win32 console the right way.... ... I also wonder if you read text from a cgi form variable how you would even know what encoding it's in... ...cutting extended character text in windows and pasting it into gtk and having everything automatically work is fantastic btw...