Re: g_malloc overhead

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:43:57 +0100
MartÃn Vales <martin opengeomap org> wrote:

Other overhead i see is the open dir/file funtions, where in windows we
need do the utf8 to utf16 everytime in windows. If JAVA,.NET and Qt use
utf16 by default why in gnome world we use utf8 by default?.

Probably one of the biggest reasons, is that UTF-8 does not use \0
octets, whereas UTF-16 does. This means that UTF-8 data can transparently
pass through all of the usual str*() functions in C, such as strlen(),
strcpy(), etc...

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd leonerd org uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/