GtkTreeModel / GtkTreeStore for big models

Hi

I am currently developping a model browser for a car crash application.

I am using GTK2.12 to populate all the objects that are in my car crash model.

For this I used the standard GtkTreeModel / GtkTreeStore design pattern.

When the model is becoming really big (more than 250 000 objets ie 250 000 rows) the tree management (populating the rows, expanding rows, collapsing rows, ....) takes too much time to be used..

Does anybody know how to speed up GtkTreeModel for a large number of rows?

Or is it a better idea to write my own implementation of the GtkTreeModel Interface?
(cf. for example chapter 11 in
http://scentric.net/tutorial/treeview-tutorial.pdf In this topic, it is said that by reimplementing the GtkTreeModel Interface, I could have better results.)

Thanks
Christoph