RE: qt vs gtk

As someone who has recently stopped using GNOME, let me give my viewpoint, then, about why I have stopped
using it. It isn't so much knee-jerk, I would hope, as simple, everyday usefulness. It was not an easy
decision for me to leave and start using KDE - I have used GNOME from the beginning and preferred it over KDE.

With any tool that provides as much functionality as a desktop, there will inevitably be a number of
irritating issues; this is true for KDE as well. But I think what really did it for me, in the end, was the
trend towards oversimplification - and what I feel is the complete lack of will to heed any call for change
that I sense from the developers.

In my view nothing would be lost to the GNOME community by not cutting away features that are actually useful
to some users. The default values could still be set to "simple", the parameter file could even be well
hidden if need be. And don't try to tell me that it is beyond the capabilities of the GNOME developers to
make things this way; it wouldn't even make it harder to program or maintain, on the contrary, parametrising
things generally makes it easier in my experience (25+ years). So it comes down to philosophy, if that is the
right word, or choice - a conscious choice has been made to do it this way despite what a number of the
expert users have had to say. So where is this trend going to stop? Nobody has been willing to say - in
principle it could go all the way to where we have a system that goes squeek when you push the big plastic
flower and can speak baby babble.

A couple of examples of what I mean - they are not big, overwhelming issues, but small irritations that I
remember because I have found KDE gives me what I wish in this respect:

1. X used to display a small "label" containing the position and size of a window when you moved it. That was
one feature I found hugely useful; I usually have 9 desktops and organise my applications with fixed
dimensions and positions different desktops - like Pidgin on desk 1, thunderbird and firefox on desk 2, a
number of xterms on desk 3 etc, all started from scripts with positions and dimensions that I have taken from
the little "dimension label". I can't do that in GNOME and find the right position and dimension takes a
large amount of trial and error. Not a huge thing, really, but why take it away?

2. All of a sudden, in the latest version of GNOME, you get a silly warning about not logging on as root. Now
one may dispute the wisdom of working that way, but that is the way I work. I have considered the
implications and secured things in other ways, let's put it like that; at the end of the day this is MY
MACHINE and there MY DECISION to make. One of the basic tenets in good software is that you don't impose
policy of any kind on your users. You provide options, you may provide a selection of preset parameters that
suggest a sensible policy, but at the end of the day it is up to the owner of the system. That is the way KDE
does it - by default root is not allowed to log on to the desktop, but there is a parameter. In GNOME I found
that it is hardcoded into gnome-session. I mean, show some respect for your customers - we have already
proven that we are intelligent and thinking individuals by chosing Linux over Windows, haven't we?

And so on - these far from the only gripes I have had over GNOME over the years. On their own these two
wouldn't have made me change, but it all adds up. I think it is important that my tools don't work against
me; GNOME did, KDE doesn't.