Adding menu items dynamically

Hello people.

I'm still getting my feet wet with Glade3... I defined a menu, which works
fine, but now I want to add items to one of the submenus by program, and
I'm stuck. I did find several other people with similar problems though
(no solutions).

Glade3, via gtk-builder-convert, seems to convert the menu things to a
series of GtkActions, and a structure which defines the menu format. I
was able to create and add a new action. I can generate the menu widget
for that action, but I cannot find a way to append it. (I cannot seem to
access the menubar/menu structure)

Any pointers appreciated.
John