Re: GtkGLExt (was Re: Gtk 3.0)

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 08:51:54PM +0000, Carlos Pereira wrote:
I'm really not working on it - mainly for three reasons: 1) if you want to
use GL, GtkGlExt is "good enough" and integrating it into gtk+ it's not a
good idea;

2) GtkGlExt is good enough for GTK-2.0, I never had a single problem with GTKGLExt.

4) Scientific/engineering applications often use OpenGL,

Exactly.  I've been using GtkGLExt in a scientific app for years and I'm
quite happy with it.  Cutter does not cut it if you need to visualize
scientific data in 3D.

Unfortunately, scientific/engineering apps seems to *be* niche use.  Look
at how hard SourceForge tries to hide this software category even though
it contains 50Ã more projects than VoIP which is promimently displayed...

So I hope something like GtkGLExt will continue to be available, whether
it's called GtkGLExt or not and is integrated into Gtk+ or not.

Yeti