RE: outstream question [i think]

-----Original Message-----
The intent is to have the results go to the gui (as opposed
to the console).

mysql> show columns from customers;
+------------+----------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field      | Type     | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+------------+----------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| vend_id    | int(11)  | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| cust_lname | char(50) | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| cust_fname | char(50) | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| cust_phone | char(50) | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
+------------+----------+------+-----+---------+----------------+

Is this your first experience developing in a GUI environment?  I
thought the same thing, way back when I first started.  However, it just
doesn't work that way.  In every graphical environment I've worked in
(several), all of the text - all of the output - is managed by placement
of strings onto or into some type of display widget.

Instead, what you'll need to do is grab the data one cell at a time,
convert it into a formatted string, and assign the string to a
displayable widget: a label, entry box, drop-down list, spin button,
etc.

Various development tools exist to automate this task to various
degrees, but the end result is always the same.  There is no widget I've
ever seen that can accept a stream of text for display.  And I believe
the closest you'll get to something like that, is to direct that stream
into a memory or string stream, and display the text in text-box type
display element.