Re: outstream question [i think]

From: devlin iamaquatics org, Date: 25/08/2009 16:50, Wrote:

The eventual goal is to create a program to log incidents at an
aquatic facility. As of right now, I am just trying to write some
small simple things to stretch out my [programming] legs.

The goal is to connect to the database and retrieve some information
on the click of the button. I can't seem to find the equivalent of a
cout statement for gtk. I have googled it to no avail.

GIO has I/O streams, though I can't imagine that being what you actually want.  cout, if I remember my C++
correctly, is often used as a shorthand for printf() and the likes that are intrinsic to C/C++.  If you're
just wanting to write messages to the terminal temporally during development, that's probably the easiest way
to go.

GLib also has some "message logging" functions that'll write messages to the terminal, can be told to be
considered an error, and other "log message" type support.

If you're wanting to "log" messages, as in to a rotated log file, I believe there's libraries and/or glib
functionality for that, some of which may include syslog support in Unix's.

Then there's also GTKmm if you're working in C++, instead of trying to bang around in GTK directly.  Or if
you're trying to move to straight C without the ++, there's also Vala which is rather nice.

I also believe I have read all the relevant documentation (including
having to use the g_free() function.

Again, GTKmm or Vala will make that mostly unnecessary.

Fredderic

Criminal Lawyers - Click here.
Criminal Lawyer
http://tagline.excite.com/fc/FgElN1g4hg7yQz5bFoAfhrQQndZbxK2MiyEtp8tru8FqIwNNTigE9IXmQmM/