scalable icons Windows

I have set up the svg pixbuf loader according to the instructions here
http://www.mail-archive.com/gtk-app-devel-list gnome org/msg11731.html,
including editing the gdk-pixbuf.loaders file and gathering all
dependencies. My application uses a named icon, "insert-link", and on
linux (Ubuntu) this automatically loads the scalable icon, because the
requested image size is larger than 48x48. On Windows, it refuses to
load the scalable icon no matter what. If I change the image to load
the file directly rather than using the name, it gives this error:

"Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'insert-link.svg': Couldn't
recognize the file format for file
'c:/full/path/to/file/insert-link.svg'"

Any ideas how to make this work?

Thanks,