drag and drop

I need to drag and drop from my app to the opsys desktop or folder.

This is an email so it is part of a mailbox file. Or it could be some other part like an attachment of the email.

does mailbox:// protocol automatically handle the drop in opsys?

I find a lot of code using drag and drop but they are text messages or url's and not particular to this situation where the app may need to formulate the data and file name.

--
Phil