Re: slowness in getting events

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:

    You might want to implement this hex dump display as a GtkTreeView
    widget, which does lend itself better to displaying tabular data.  The
    MVC mechanism by which the TreeView works means that the view
    automatically updates itself as the model (your hex data) changes and
    emits signals.  You an even have multiple views of the same data if you
    need it.

    There are also a number of custom widgets that implement
    spreadsheet-style grids you can search for.

Some more testing has made it clear to me that the problem I am having is
not that I am not getting the events, but that gdk_draw_layout(), which I am
calling many times per update, is too slow.  I found some posts from a few
years ago that this was hundreds of times slower than XDrawString(), and I
have verified that it is much slower.  Of course, XDrawString is much harder
to use.  Does anyone have any ways of dealing with this?