help with accelerator labels

Hello all! I have added a capability to add accelerator keys to a menu
structure after the menu is built. That is a requirement due to the way
the app works. :-( Now I would like to add the accelerator labels to the
menu items. While that is quite easy, is there an easy way to generate
the text for the control keys in a multi-language keyboard manner? I am
referring to the control, shift and alt keys mainly. The Gdk keyval
support doesn't seem to do this. I could delete the menu items and
re-add them with labels, but I don't know that that approach would
properly add the label text vs. simply allowing me to add them like I do
now. Also, how do you delete a specific menu item (in order to add it
again)?

Thank you,
Chuck Crisler